Below are several book lists: books for families about dyslexia, books for children about dyslexia or containing characters with dyslexia, and decodable readers for early literacy practice.
Additional Books & Descriptions:
Listening to audiobooks is an alternative way to access literature and has shown to help students with many of the following: auditory learning, improved comprehension, reduced reading anxiety, ability to access grade-level content, growing a love for literature, and a multisensory experience.
Some resources we are aware of are below – if you have any to share please let us know so we can add to this list.
1.North Carolina Accessible Books and Library Services- created for people with visual/physical & reading disability. Library is located in Raleigh but mails throughout the state. https://Statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/about-us/accessible-books-and-library-services
2. Bookshare- a free service for dyslexic individuals with over one million book titles. Ability to change voices and follow text. www.bookshare.org
3. Learning Ally– $135 yearly. An audiobook reading solution designed for Dyslexic and below grade level readers. High-quality, human-read audiobooks.
4. Speechify- Speechify lets you upload documents and convert them into downloadable audio files. It can read web pages, PDF files, docs, Microsoft Word files, emails, and other formats. You can also listen to your text offline by taking a photo of the text and letting Speechify read it to you. https://speechify.com/
5. Chirpbooks– Audiobook company without subscription fees and limited-time deals on books. https://www.chirpbooks.com/
6. Bookshare – free for students with reading disabilities. High quality audio; see & follow text with word highlighting; adjust reading speed, font, & color; enlarge font size, add bookmarks & notes
7. Audible- an Amazon company that offer a subscription service for audio books. https://www.audible.com/
8. National Library Service- A free library service for people with reading disabilities through a network of libraries that offer free deliver and audio downloads. https://www.loc.gov/nls/
9. Libby- Library reading app that offers audiobooks for free from your local library. https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby