Decoding Dyslexia North Carolina is a non-profit 501c3, grassroots movement driven by North Carolina families, educators and professionals concerned with the limited access to educational interventions for dyslexia within our public schools. We aim to raise dyslexia awareness, empower families to support their children, and inform policymakers on best practices to identify, remediate and support students with dyslexia in North Carolina public schools.
We are advocating for the state of North Carolina to implement:
- A universal definition and understanding of “dyslexia” in the state education code
[This milestone was achieved via House Bill 149 passed in 2017]
- Mandatory teacher training on dyslexia, its warning signs and appropriate intervention strategies
- Mandatory early screening tests for dyslexia
- Mandatory dyslexia remediation programs, which can be accessed by both general and special education populations
- Access to appropriate “assistive technologies” in the public school setting for students with dyslexia
Disclaimer: We are a non-profit that is 100% volunteer and grassroots. We are not a professional business. Anything you see on the Decoding Dyslexia North Carolina website should not take the place of professional, individual advice, which we recommend you seek to answer your specific questions. Nothing contained on this website is intended to provide medical, legal or other professional advice. We are simply families and educators who care about spreading dyslexia awareness.